events at Mermaid Quay
news & offers
LOVE IS BETTER BY THE WATER PHOTO COMPETITION
Mermaid Quay is one of the most romantic spots in Cardiff - with stunning views over Cardiff Bay; it's the perfect place to treat a loved one.
And, as part of Mermaid Quay’s 2015 Valentine’s celebrations, we asked you to take a romantic snap of you and a loved one to be in with a chance of winning a fantastic meal for 2 at gorgeous authentic Italian restaurant San Martino.
We loved all your photos and have picked our three finalists. Thank you to everyone who entered.
It's now over to you to vote for the winner! Vote here.
Vote for your favourite from Saturday 28 February - Saturday 7 March and winner will be announced shortly after.
Love Life, Love Mermaid Quay
TERMS AND CONDITIONS – VALENTINES COMPETITION
1. By entering this competition, you will be deemed to have accepted these terms & conditions.
2. The competition is only open to residents of the UK, aged 18 or over, excluding employees, contractors, agents, retailers & service providers of Mermaid Quay, family members of the same and anyone professionally associated with the competition.
3. Only one entry per person. No purchase required.
4. All entry instructions for the competition form part of the terms.
5. To qualify for this competition, customers must post their photo on the Mermaid Quay Facebook page or Tweet it to @mermaidquay with #lovemq and fully complete entry requirements as set out in promotional items.
6. Entry requirements must be fully completed to enter the competition.
7. The winner will be notified by Facebook or Twitter shortly after voting closes (voting close date is on Friday 6 March).
8. In the event of the winner not claiming their prize, the photo with the second greatest number of votes will become the winner.
9. The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity as a condition of receiving the prize (eg publicity photos). If the winner is required to take part in such promotional activity, he or she agrees that we may (but are not obliged to) use images and footage in which they appear in promotional campaigns which may include press & magazine advertising, direct mail, outdoor & transport advertising, direct mail, social media, leaflets, flyers and websites. The winner shall not be entitled to receive any payment for any such use of his or her image or footage in which he or she appears.
10. The decision of the judges is final and binding in all matters relating to the competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. The prize comprises of a £50 voucher to spend at San Martino at Mermaid Quay. The prize is subject to availability. A table reservation must be made in advance.
12. The prize must be taken in the form advertised and there is no cash alternative. The prize cannot be used at any another venue. The prize is non-negotiable, non-refundable and non-transferable.
13. Imagery used to promote the competition/campaign does not reflect prizes.
14. The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or promotions.
15. We reserve the right to: (i) award an alternative prize of equal or greater value; (ii) in exceptional circumstances, vary, amend or cancel this competition at any time on reasonable notice, including varying the closing date for the competition; (iii) cancel or refuse any individual’s entry to the competition if they are in breach of these Terms or tamper with the entry process; and (iv) amend these Terms, in which case we will use reasonable efforts to notify such changes to entrants and potential entrants.
16. Other than for fraudulent misrepresentation or death or personal injury arising from our negligence, we exclude, to the full extent permitted by law, all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense you may incur, whether direct or indirect and however caused, in connection with this competition or the prize.
17. The promoter of this competition is Halogen Ltd, Bridge House, 63-65 North Wharf Road, London W2 1LA Co No. 4160427, acting on behalf of Mermaid Quay.
18. Any queries in relation to this competition should be directed in writing to Halogen Ltd, Bridge House, 63-65 North Wharf Road, London W2 1LA. Mark the envelope Mermaid Quay Valentine’s Competition.
19. These terms and the competition are governed by English law and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England & Wales.
20. Mermaid Quay and all businesses involved retain the rights to publicise all winners.
21. This voucher entitles you to a meal at San Martino to the value of £50. Subject to availability. No cash value and no change given. Valid for ONE visit only. Cannot be used on key calendar dates such as mothering Sunday and rugby six nation fixtures.
Mermaid Quay Music Fest - Easter 2015
Tune up, tune in to Mermaid Quay’s second annual Music Fest this Easter at Mermaid Quay!
Following the huge success of Music Fest 2014, Mermaid Quay is again hosting the FREE 10 day festival, from Friday 3 April – Sunday 12 April 2015, right on the waterfront, in the heart of Cardiff Bay.
Mermaid Quay Music Fest 2015 will kick off with four fabulous days of great live music – ranging from folk to opera, funk to good old rock & roll - over the Easter weekend (3 – 6 April).
Performers will include Mermaid Quay regular John Adams (former X Factor contestant); Ragsy (former The Voice contestant) who just launched his great new album; Rocket Joe Joe & The Old Time Bangers, the James Clode Band and the cute-as-a-button Mini Mix Girls (see full list of bands signed up to date below). There really will be something for everyone’s musical taste!
The fun then continues with interactive music and craft workshops for kids from Tuesday 7 to Friday 10 April.
On Saturday 11 April, Tenovus Cancer Care will be providing some fantastic music with 12 different choirs and soloists (see list below) performing from 11am to 6pm. They will be fundraising for a great cause so come along and support them.
And, to finish it all off, on Sunday 12 April, we’ve got Made in Cardiff TV taking over the Music Fest, with great music from local performers.
Complete your trip to Cardiff’s stunning waterfront at one of Mermaid Quay’s many restaurants, cafés and bars; with food from around the world, there is something for everyone, from tasty treats to a luxury meal or a fun family feast.
So, if you love music, love Mermaid Quay this Easter.
MANGO LILY LEISURE LIMITED BUYS MIMOSA, MERMAID QUAY
Cardiff-based startup, Mango Lily Leisure Ltd, has bought Mimosa, the hip restaurant, bar and lounge in Mermaid Quay, Cardiff Bay.
Cardiff based entrepreneur Michael Trezise is the man behind Mango Lily Leisure and, following his successful sale of Tracesmart Group to Lexis Mexis in March 2014, he is now entering the casual dining market.
Trezise said “Eating and drinking out is now established as a behavioral norm with the key national operators benefitting from the great opportunities for growth. Mango Lily Leisure has significant capital in place to expand its portfolio into key cities throughout the UK and to deliver the ultimate dining, drinking and social experience in relaxing surroundings. The acquisition of Mimosa is exciting, particularly as it’s our first and situated in my hometown. Mango Lily Leisure and Mimosa share a vision to ensure produce remains fresh and responsibly sourced.”
The current Mimosa team will remain and will be complimented by the arrival of an experienced management team later this year.
The company has already appointed Leigh Matthews as Mimosa’s new General Manager. With over 12 years experience in hospitality, he has built a reputation around award-winning service and delivering exceptional standards of food quality. Matthews was keen to join this project and said “The clear and exciting vision we have for Mimosa resonated with me. It’s always been an ambition of mine to build an exciting casual dining and cocktail brand and, with Mango Lily Leisure, I am confident we can create, not just an exceptional experience for diners and drinkers alike, but also an example of what real quality and customer service should be.”
Mango Lily plans to grow its portfolio to 5 sites by the end of 2016 and to 10 by the end of 2019.
Mimosa will be rebranded to a completely new identity over the next few months.
Further details will be announced in due course.
Team Passenger winners of Ignite 2015 at Mermaid Quay
Congratulations to Team Passenger who won Ignite 2015 at Mermaid Quay on Saturday 21 February.
Team Passenger traded on Bute Street on Saturday, selling Indian sweets. Ending the the day in profit, made them winners of the 2015 event.
Students at Cardiff Metropolitan University, Cardiff University and University of South Wales took part in a 40-hour entrepreneurial challenge from February 20th to 22nd. The students traded from a range of retail and market locations with the aim of making as much profit as possible from the seed money they have been awarded.
Ignite is aimed at equipping students with the entrepreneurial skills they need to develop a new business or to land their dream job. The programme challenged them to develop their team working skills, creativity, problem solving, financial management, business planning and ideas generation.
For more information visit the Ignite website here.
GBK app - Order, collect, burger joy
Gourmet Burger Kitchen has gone digital!
You can now order burgers-to-go on your smartphone.
Just download their app, choose Mermaid Quay from the list of restaurants, punch in your order and voila! Burgers to pick up at your leisure, saving you time AND piling up rewards on the app such as free sides & burgers on every other order.
THE AWARD WINNING BILL’S RESTAURANT IS COMING TO MERMAID QUAY
Bill’s opens at Mermaid Quay at 8am on Monday 16 March 2015
Open from early in the morning for breakfast, throughout the day and into the evening for dinner, Bill’s caters brilliantly for every occasion. Its food is fresh and seasonal, staff are friendly and ready to make sure you have a good time, and the atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. There is something for everyone, from an early morning coffee and bowl of porridge, to a candlelit dinner and a glass of wine to mark a special occasion. Whether you want to sit quietly and enjoy a coffee or celebrate your birthday in style, Bill’s will make sure you have a good time.
One of the oldest buildings in Cardiff Bay, the Pilotage is steeped in history and Bill’s new restaurant makes the most of the original features inside. “We’re delighted to be opening a second restaurant in Cardiff, and are looking forward to adding something to the mix of eateries at Mermaid Quay”, said Bill Collison, founder of Bill’s. “Cosy booths, large sharing tables, and plenty of twinkling candles in the evening, we are hoping this new opening will prove to be as popular as our original Cardiff restaurant.”
“I think what makes us a bit different is the effort we put into everything, from the menus and staff training, to me picking up bits and pieces from auctions and antique fairs to give the restaurant a really welcoming feel. Bill’s has a real bustle during the day and then, come the evening, we get the candelabras glowing and it’s a really different vibe.”
Bill’s Mermaid Quay will be open for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day from 8am – 11pm Monday – Saturday; and 9am – 10.30pm on Sundays and Bank Holidays.
RBS 6 Nations at Terra Nova
FREE WIFI NOW AVAILABLE AT MERMAID QUAY
Mermaid Quay is delighted to announce the launch of a free WiFi service for all customers.
This service allows visitors to Mermaid Quay to use free WiFi on smartphones, tablets and computers to browse the web, check in on social media and/or send and receive email.
Simply select "Mermaid Quay" from the list of networks and follow the simple on screen instructions to log in.
DONATION BRINGS EXTRA SAFETY TO MERMAID QUAY
Cardiff Bay restaurant Demiro’s has donated a defibrillator to Mermaid Quay.
In a ceremony that took place on Friday 19 December 2014 outside Demiro’s in Mermaid Quay, Vicky Patterson of Demiro’s, along with Dr Gareth Roberts of Welsh Hearts presented the defibrillator to Mermaid Quay’s Centre Manager, Justin Patel.
The popular restaurant worked closely with Welsh Hearts throughout 2014 to raise funds for the local charity through several successful events, such as the Ladies Lunch and the Caribbean Themed Beach Party at Cardiff Bay Beach. As a result, Welsh Hearts Charity Director, Sharon Owen donated the defibrillator to Demiro’s this month (December 2014).
Speaking of the decision to donate the defibrillator to Mermaid Quay, Demiro’s Marketing Representative, Vicky Patterson said:
“We were delighted to be presented with the defibrillator and to ensure that it is readily available to all of our fellow businesses, we felt that it would be best kept in a central hub. For this reason we felt it would be most fitting to donate the machine to Mermaid Quay.
“It has been a pleasure working with Welsh Hearts throughout 2014, and we hope to emulate this success with our new chosen charity, Tenovus, in 2015.”
Justin Patel, Centre Manager at Mermaid Quay commented:
“I am absolutely delighted to accept the defibrillator on behalf of Mermaid Quay. We had a number of defibrillators at the centre I worked at previously and it could prove invaluable in case emergency medical assistance is required.
“With an ever-increasing number of people visiting Mermaid Quay every week, I believe that we should do all that we possibly can to safeguard customers and staff in every way. I am delighted to say that we will now be in a position to potentially save a life using this equipment. It will be a great addition to Mermaid Quay.”
Favoured by Welsh Hearts and the Welsh Ambulance Service, the iPAD defibrillator – an apparatus used to control heart fibrillation and prevent death caused by cardiac arrest – gives voice prompts to advise the operator what action to take. It will guide the operator to adhere two sticky pads to the patient’s chest and automatically assesses whether to treat the patient with a therapeutic shock.
Romantic Royals visit Mermaid Quay
Britain's most romantic royals visited Mermaid Quay on Saturday 14 February.
They arrived in spectacular style in a Rolls Royce and were joined by the comedy paparazzi!
It was a great day at Mermaid Quay and we hope that everyone there enjoyed themselves.
Mermaid Quay & Made in Cardiff with Cadwaladers
Around Mermaid Quay with Made in Cardiff
Mermaid Quay & Made in Cardiff with Fabulous Welshcakes
Christmas 2014 Mermaid Quay
Christmas is better by the Water!
Santa's magical Post Office at Mermaid Quay
Christmas is better by the water
Take a look at some of our festive photos from Mermaid Quay this Christmas. We have a number of festivities taking place throughout December including Santa's magical Post Office, Santa's Grotto and Carols on the Quayside.
Go back to the what's on page for details on each event.