events at Mermaid Quay
news & offers
Ar Waith Ar Daith at Wales Millenium Centre and Mermaid Quay
Thursday 26 March 2015 will see the launch of Ar Waith Ar Daith – a journey of Welsh myth and magic an epic artistic journey across the length and breadth of Wales to mark the 10th anniversary of Wales Millennium Centre, the national centre for the performing arts.
Created by outdoor arts experts Walk the Plank, Ar Waith Ar Daith takes as its inspiration the history and mythology of Wales. It will encompass outdoor theatrical performances, street celebrations, pyrotechnics and procession.
At its heart is a symbolic cauldron, designed to hold the creative inspiration of artists, musicians, poets and storytellers from around Wales. Beginning in Caernarfon, through a partnership with Galeri, the town’s art centre, the cauldron will start a five month journey that will culminate in an outdoor spectacular at Wales Millennium Centre on Saturday 12 September 2015. Along the way, three processions will symbolise the arrival of different gifts: the riches of the Sea, the Earth and the Land.
Come and join this incredible evening on Saturday 12 September at Wales Millenium Centre, Roald Dahl Plass and Mermaid Quay.
Mermaid Quay partners WALES MILLENNIUM CENTRE RECEIVE A QUEEN’S AWARD FOR ENTERPRISE
Wales Millennium Centre, partners of Mermaid Quay, is celebrating being named as winner of a Queen's Award for Enterprise - the UK's highest accolade for business success. The Centre received the award for Sustainable Development.
The award is in recognition of Wales Millennium Centre's commitment to managing the organisation in line with the principles of Sustainable Development. The Centre holds close to its heart the importance of balancing the social, economic, and environmental aspects of the business so as to enable a sustainable approach to the delivery of culture in Wales. This award reinforces the Centre as a leader in sustainable development and recognises all members of the team for their contribution.
Mathew Milsom, Managing Director of Wales Millennium Centre said "I am immensely proud of the whole team for winning one of the highest honours a company can receive. It is a true recognition of how everyone working together can make a real difference to the people of Wales. Our positive impact can be felt on many levels - on the economy, the community, young people, culture, the environment and on tourism.
"This accolade recognises our ambitions of inspiring the nation by providing opportunities for all to engage with culture and the arts, showcasing Wales to the World by creating work within Wales and excelling in everything that we do. Not only this, it recognises our operational team's commitment to the highest standards of customer service and the maintenance of the iconic building itself."
Since opening, the Centre has exceeded all expectations, welcoming over 13.5 million people through its doors and contributes around £50 million into the local economy each year as well as supporting 1,000 jobs on site.
Wales Millennium Centre has remained true to its founding artistic vision To bring the best of the world to Wales and to showcase the best of Wales to the World and has built up a reputation amongst artists and producers as one of the world's leading centres of the performing arts. The Centre is a cauldron of creativity for the nation, transforming lives by extending horizons, particularly for young people. Since it first opened its doors it has already provided creative opportunities to over 200,000 children and young people. As well as this, the venue is located in one of the UK's oldest multi-cultural communities and is committed to working with diverse groups and grass roots level.
Part of the original ethos of the Centre was to be a hub for creativity and collaboration in the arts and is home to eight other diverse arts organisations - Welsh National Opera, BBC National Orchestra of Wales, National Dance Company Wales, Urdd Gobaith Cymru, T? Cerdd, Hinjinx, Literature Wales and Touch Trust (all charities). It also houses on its site Arts Council Wales. Relationships forged by these organisations have enabled them to work together to create a cultural village in the heart of Cardiff Bay.
It was the first independent arts centre in the UK to achieve the international environmental management standard ISO14001 and was a founding signatory of Welsh Government's Sustainable Development Charter. It is an exemplar venue which has achieved a great deal to reduce its environmental impact, and in 2012 won the much coveted award for Sustainability and Environmental Impact from the British Institute of Facilities Management against tough competition from leading FTSE 100 companies.
Wales' number one visitor attraction, the Centre was chosen as as Wales' National Treasure in 2014 by the people of Wales in the National Lottery's Good Causes vote on Lottery funded projects across the UK.
"This is the best theatre built in the world in the last 50 years" Lord Lloyd Webber
The awards are made annually by HM The Queen, and are only given for the highest levels of excellence demonstrated in each category.
Made In Cardiff TV at MQ Music Fest 2015
On Sunday 12 April 2015, Made In Cardiff took over the MQ Music Fest 2015, with the final of the Quaynote Competition.
It was a fabulous day, with performances from the 6 Quaynote finalists.
Fingertrap took the prize, of a whole show on Made In Cardiff TV's flagship programme, What's Occurin' Cardiff?
Fingertrap comprises of 4 great performers:
Siôn Carver - Pianist and Lead Vocals - Hometown: Pontypridd
Frankie Allart - Drums - Hometown: Mountain Ash
Nick Savage - Bass Guitar - Hometown: Mountain Ash
Jimmy Parfitt - Lead Guitar - Hometown: Abercynon
Nick and Frankie grew up together and met Jimmy at comprehensive school and met Siôn in college. When Siôn, Nick and Frankie went on to study Music Technology at University of Glamorgan, they were required to write and perform a song as an assignment. The boys wanted to continue writing a music and starting FINGERTRAP. Jimmy was contacted to play guitar and started writting and performing since 2011.
Judges on the day included:
Matthew Frederick – Presenter of Stay Little Sessions
Andrew Shay – Presenter of Acapela Unsigned
Sian King – Presenter of Live at the Vaults
Rhian George – Made in Cardiff Editor
It was a great day, thank you to everyone involved and a bigcongratulations to all the Quaynote entrants.
Love music, love Mermaid Quay,
Tenovus Cancer Care at MQ Music Fest 2015
On Saturday 11 April 2015, Tenovus Cancer Care provided the customers of Mermaid Quay with a fantastic day of entertainment with choirs, singers and performers taking over the Music Fest from 11am - 6pm.
The event raised over £1,500 for Tenovus Cancer Care - so thank you all so much for your great support.
A great day was had by all, with lots of singing, dancing and laughing.
Love music, love Mermaid Quay.
Judgement Day and Salt Facebook and Twitter Competition
Enter our Facebook and Twitter competition to be in with a chance of winning 4 tickets to Judgement Day at the Millenium Stadium plus a VIP booth with cocktails at Salt, Mermaid Quay!
Prize consits of:
VIP booth and cocktails for 4 people at Salt, Mermaid Quay from 12noon
Tickets to Judgement Day at Millenium Stadium to see Cardiff Blues v Ospreys at 2.30pm and NG Dragons v Scarlets at 4.45pm.
Competition closes at 1pm on Thursday 23 April.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. By entering this competition, you will be deemed to have accepted these terms & conditions.
2. The competition is only open to residents of the UK, aged 18 or over, excluding employees, contractors, agents, retailers & service providers of Mermaid Quay, family members of the same and anyone professionally associated with the competition.
3. Only one entry per person. No purchase required.
4. All entry instructions for the competition form part of the terms.
5. To qualify for this competition, customers fully complete entry requirements as set out in promotional items.
6. Entry requirements must be fully completed to enter the competition.
7. The winner will be notified by Facebook or Twitter shortly after competition closes at 1pm on Thursday 23 April.
8. In the event of the winner not claiming their prize, a new winner will be selected.
9. The winner may be required to take part in promotional activity as a condition of receiving the prize (eg publicity photos). If the winner is required to take part in such promotional activity, he or she agrees that we may (but are not obliged to) use images and footage in which they appear in promotional campaigns which may include press & magazine advertising, direct mail, outdoor & transport advertising, direct mail, social media, leaflets, flyers and websites. The winner shall not be entitled to receive any payment for any such use of his or her image or footage in which he or she appears.
10. The decision of the judges is final and binding in all matters relating to the competition and no correspondence will be entered into.
11. The prize comprises of 4 tickets to Judgement Day plus VIP booth and cocktails for 4 people at Salt, Mermaid Quay.
12. The prize must be taken in the form advertised and there is no cash alternative. The prize cannot be used at any another venue. The prize is non-negotiable, non-refundable and non-transferable.
13. Imagery used to promote the competition/campaign does not reflect prizes.
14. The prize cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers or promotions.
15. We reserve the right to: (i) award an alternative prize of equal or greater value; (ii) in exceptional circumstances, vary, amend or cancel this competition at any time on reasonable notice, including varying the closing date for the competition; (iii) cancel or refuse any individual’s entry to the competition if they are in breach of these Terms or tamper with the entry process; and (iv) amend these Terms, in which case we will use reasonable efforts to notify such changes to entrants and potential entrants.
16. Other than for fraudulent misrepresentation or death or personal injury arising from our negligence, we exclude, to the full extent permitted by law, all liability for any loss, damage, cost and expense you may incur, whether direct or indirect and however caused, in connection with this competition or the prize.
17. The promoter of this competition is Halogen Ltd, Bridge House, 63-65 North Wharf Road, London W2 1LA Co No. 4160427, acting on behalf of Mermaid Quay.
18. Any queries in relation to this competition should be directed in writing to Halogen Ltd, Bridge House, 63-65 North Wharf Road, London W2 1LA. Mark the envelope Mermaid Quay Valentine’s Competition.
19. These terms and the competition are governed by English law and you submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England & Wales.
20. Mermaid Quay and all businesses involved retain the rights to publicise all winners.
Ramen at wagamama
Carluccio's is coming to Mermaid Quay!
Coming soon to Mermaid Quay!
From Friday 1st May, locals and visitors to Cardiff’s vibrant Mermaid Quay will be able to enjoy genuine homemade Italian food in relaxed surroundings, with the much-anticipated arrival of Carluccio’s.
Carluccio’s will offer an all-day Italian restaurant, food shop and deli, making it the ideal destination for a leisurely coffee and pastry after shopping in the stylish boutiques, an afternoon catching up with friends over a selection of sharing plates or even a celebratory three-course meal with wine looking over the waterfront.
Using the freshest seasonal ingredients, the varied restaurant menu will offer something for everyone. Look forward to a satisfying selection of Italian dishes, from delicious sharing plates, light salads and fresh handmade pasta, to seasonal fish, meat and vegetarian mains plus decadent desserts. As well as great quality, authentic Italian food, Carluccio’s prides itself on its sensible prices, with two courses costing as little as £15.
THE FOOD SHOP AND DELI
Carluccio’s deli will be brimming with freshly made dishes available for a leisurely lunch by the bay, including tasty ciabatta sandwiches, Piadina (Italian flat bread), fresh salads and sweet treats. Head to the food shop to browse shelves bursting with beautifully packaged Italian products, many sourced direct from small artisan producers in Italy, including oil, wines, coffee, biscuits, pastas, polenta, rice, antipasti, sauces and handmade chocolates.
Simon Kossoff, Chairman of Carluccio’s, says: "We have been keen to open in Mermaid Quay for a number of years now and are delighted to have finally found the right site for us.”
Carluccio’s – offering a genuine taste of Italy in Mermaid Quay.
EXCITING NEW MENU AT GBK
GBK at Mermaid Quay have launched a very exciting special new menu!
Celebrated New Zealand chef Peter Gordon, dubbed ‘the Godfather of fusion cuisine’ has created an exclusive menu with GBK. Peter’s menu reflects his pioneering culinary style. Peter created the original Gourmet Burger Kitchen menu back in 2001 and has always remained a part of the GBK family. Fast forward 14 years and Peter is still doing what he does best, experimenting with ingredients, textures and flavours at GBK.
The menu for £17.95 has our duck confit burger, a choice of a side of either sweet potato fries or summer homeslaw and a banana Biscoff Milkshake (this can be swapped for a glass of wine or a Meantime Pale Ale).
All items can also be ordered separately.
Come and try it and get you taste buds tingling!
Spring has sprung at Zizzi
Try Zizzi's new spring menu at Mermaid Quay.
There are dishes with a twist such as the Bufala Campagna Salad or the Pulled Pork Napoli.
Come and treat your taste buds!
PLUS get 30% off all mains! Just download the voucher here.
Offer valid all day Sunday - Thursday until Sunday 5 April.
Spring into summer with Las Iguanas new menu
Mermaid Quay Music Fest 2015 - Made In Cardiff TV
Mermaid Quay Music Fest 2015 - Quay Note Competition - Made In Cardiff TV
Mermaid Quay Music Fest 2015 - Family - Made In Cardiff TV
Romantic Royals visit Mermaid Quay
Britain's most romantic royals visited Mermaid Quay on Saturday 14 February.
They arrived in spectacular style in a Rolls Royce and were joined by the comedy paparazzi!
It was a great day at Mermaid Quay and we hope that everyone there enjoyed themselves.
Mermaid Quay & Made in Cardiff with Cadwaladers
Around Mermaid Quay with Made in Cardiff
Mermaid Quay & Made in Cardiff with Fabulous Welshcakes
Christmas 2014 Mermaid Quay
Christmas is better by the Water!
Win a meal for 2 at San Martino
San Martino is a truly authentic Italian restaurant with stunning waterfront views overlooking Cardiff Bay.
We've got a meal for 2 to give away in our prize draw. Just fill out the details below for your chance to win this fabulous meal!
Draw closes at 5pm on Monday 25 May.
Terms and Conditions:
- Prize consists of a meal for 2 at San Martino to the value of £50.
- Winner must call San Martino to book table (contact number on voucher).
- Subject to availability, booking in advance is essential to redeem this voucher.
- Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Not valid in private dining rooms.